Why It's Not Too Early
To Book Your Senior Session
It's barely the end of April in your Junior Year and suddenly you're seeing Senior Photo Session information everywhere... and you're thinking... "Wait, what?!?!?! Isn't it way too early to be thinking about Senior Photos... I mean, I'm not even a Senior yet"!
I'm here to tell you that it's absolutely not too early, at least not from the point of view of a photographer's schedule, to book your Senior photo session.
Whether you prefer to have your photos in the fresh blooms of Spring, the warmth of Summer, the gorgeous foliage of Fall, or with your ice skates or skis in the snowflakes of Winter NOW is the time to book your session.
First let's clarify what "booking" a session means: booking a session quite simply means reserving a date in the future to have your photo session. No one can predict what they'll be doing in 4 months or what the weather may be but once you're on a photographer's schedule, you're an established client and it's much easier to re-schedule during the busy season than it is to schedule. Most of us prioritize during our busy months and re-scheduling someone who is already on your books tends to take priority.
Still wondering why you should book now... here's why:
- A lot of photographer's have a variety of specialties and sometimes their "popular months/seasons" overlap. For instance, while I book all types of sessions, I specialize in Seniors and Weddings. September, October, and November have been trending in the number one spot for several years now as the top pick for Weddings... care to guess which months Seniors prefer to have their Senior photos taken? Yep, it's September and October. So, what does this have to do with you? Here's how this affects you; Weddings are booked at least a year in advance and sometimes even longer, 99.9% of Weddings tend to take place on Saturdays, and Weddings are an all day event. Seniors tend to prefer weekends for their sessions... with those two specialties colliding it eliminates about half of the available Saturdays.
- Planning. Locations, wardrobe, hair, make-up, sports uniforms and equipment. We need time to plan your session so it can be all that you deserve it to be.
- Permissions and Permits. Some locations require paperwork be filed in order to obtain permission to shoot on the property. Some places may have other events going on at specific times of the year that we need to work around. When it comes to some federal or government owned land getting responses isn't usually something that happens quickly. If we are going to shoot some of your photos in your school's gym or fields we will need to organize that with coaches, athletic directors, or principals. In the off-season this can take some time.
- Wardrobe. You are not going to want to lose this opportunity to shop! You'll need several outfit changes, with coordinating shoes, and don't forget finding the right accessories for each outfit.
- Hair Makeup. Whether you choose to use one of our professional artists/stylists or one of your own we will need to work around their already booked calendars. The sooner we can get you on their books the better the chance they'll be available for your choice of date.
- Sports Uniforms Equipment. We will need to co-ordinate with your coaches so that we can have access to your uniforms and any equipment you may need for poses.
- Re-schedules. Let's be honest, life happens. People get sick, it rains for a month straight, and there are a million other things that can pop up out of nowhere. We need the padding of scheduling in advance so that we can accommodate for the occasional re-schedule.
- Vacations. Family vacations tend to take place in the Summer, sometimes families schedule more than one vacation, and your photographer may have vacation(s) planned as well. Let's bring in some of the other people we've mentioned that may be involved in scheduling your session (hair and makeup artist(s), coaches, etc)... this realistically has the possibility of eliminating two or more weeks from available schedules.
- Deadlines. Most schools have a deadline for formal yearbook images to be submitted. In Washington County the deadline for public schools is typically around the first week of October. We need to, at the very least, have your formal session scheduled in time for editing and submitting.
- The Experience. In order to give my clients the Once In A Lifetime senior photo session experience they deserve I rarely schedule more than one Senior per day, occasionally I will schedule two if someone requests a morning session. I can't provide what you deserve if either of us feels rushed. This is one of the few times in life that it really is all about you... soak it in and enjoy it!
I could easily list a dozen or more reasons why it's not too early to book your Senior photo session however, I'm pretty confident that you get the picture. So, give us a call, send us a text or email... just get your Senior session booked!